How to: Refill a Battery on a Live Unit
MOBILE UNIT - BATTERIES
OVERVIEW: This document outlines the procedure for a Partial Battery Refill and a Full Battery Refill.
- Safety glasses
- 4 gallons of distilled water
- Battery Filler jug
Before operating or working with an LVT LiveUnit, consult Liveview’s safety guidelines. Failure to completely understand proper safety procedures when dealing with a LiveUnit may result in improper use which increases the likelihood of accidents. To review LVT’s safety guidelines online or to print, please go here:
BATTERY REFILL PROCEDURE
NOTE: This procedure only applies to FLOODED batteries, not AGM batteries. Carefully read stickers to identify battery type.
AGM BATTERIESFLOODED BATTERIES
PARTIAL BATTERY REFILL (BASIC)
- To safely complete this procedure, it is critical to wear gloves and safety glasses to protect against battery acid spills.
- Unlock power control box and flip switch down to turn off cameras. NOTE: Switch may be found in one of the two locations shown below depending on the trailer.
LOCATION 1 (OLDER TRAILERS)LOCATION 2 (NEWER TRAILERS)
- Remove the battery caps from the fill holes by pushing the bars of the cap in a twisting motion or by removing each cap individually.
TWIST-OFF CAPS INDIVIDUAL CAPS
- Look into each cell (3 total) to check if the vertical lead plates within each cell are covered with liquid or if they are exposed.
- The vertical lead plates in the image below are exposed
- If the plates are not covered by liquid, use the battery filler jug to carefully fill the cell until the tops of the plates are underwater. Do not overfill! Stop overfilling as soon as the plates are submerged. To do this ensure you:
- Pour distilled water into the Battery Filler jug first.
- Use the Battery Filler jug to pour distilled water into each cell, checking periodically to make sure the cells are not overfilled.
- Do not overfill! Battery cells only need enough distilled water to cover the tops of the plates.
- When the cells are filled correctly, screw the caps back onto the battery.
- Turn the cameras and strobe back on.
FULL BATTERY REFILL (ADVANCED - LVT TECHS OR TRAILER OWNERS)
- To perform a full battery refill the batteries must receive a full charge BEFORE the refill. This is accomplished by allowing the solar panels to charge the batteries for 24 hours or plugging the trailer into AC power.
- After the batteries have received a full charge, return to the mobile unit.
- Verify the batteries received a full charge. If charged by solar, follow these steps to verify:
- Locate MidNite charge controller.
- On the MidNite charge controller, press the STATUS button.
- The display should say FLOAT. If not, let the solar panels charge the batteries until the charge controller reads FLOAT.
- After verifying the batteries have been charged, unscrew and remove the battery caps.
- Unscrew the cap at the top of the battery fill jug to let some air in before filling, then re-screw the cap. The jug will not pour if this step is omitted.
- Begin filling each cell using the jug. The battery fill jug will “glug glug” as it fills each cell.
- The filling will slow down automatically as the cell reaches its maximum level. Periodically stop filling and open the battery jug cap to let in air. Then keep filling as needed. The jug should automatically stop pouring liquid when it is done. The jug is designed to stop pouring at the correct level, do not attempt to keep filling after the jug stops pouring.
- Do not overfill the batteries! Never fill batteries to the brim of the cell or to the point of overflow.
- Screw the battery caps back on.
- Turn on the cameras and re-lock all boxes.